Where is “Home?” – Leaving Colorado

November, 2016 – February, 2017

Plume House
Plume House

In November, 2016, we left Colorado.  It was a very long, stressful, and emotional process for Angie.  Leaving a place that has been our home for over 25 years and the friends we have made there took a bit.  Moving onto the boat full time was actually going to happen. We could start our circumnavigation. It just didn’t seem real (and still does not).

Going Away Party at The Alpine Inn
Impromptu Going Away Party at The Alpine Inn. This is probably the 4th or 5th time we have said good bye to our friends
Golfing in Golden
Golfing in Golden

We have been planning this for the last 10 years.  And, admittedly, Angie stopped being excited about it and reading everything she could get her hands on, about 2 years ago.  She got tired of reading everyone else’s adventures.  We were not getting any younger, and Angie’s motorcycle accident in 2015 didn’t help, neither physically nor financially.  The medical bills sucked up an entire year’s  budget.  The reefs that we want to visit and dive are dying.

Silver Valley
Silver Valley
Lake Dillon
Lake Dillon
Downtown Georgetown
Downtown Georgetown

All of the planning  in the world does not mean anything if major pieces of the puzzle do not work out.  Again, Angie got in a funk.  For us, we had to sell everything.  Angie found it very difficult to manage rental properties while not having consistent, decent phone and internet.  So, it was with great surprise when we actually had two parties contact us about buying our last home in the same week in September.  It was unlisted, and we were gearing up to turn it over to another property manager since the person running it as a B and B had issues making consistent  rental payments.  That piece of property was a huge piece of the puzzle, and it sold.

Bakerville Exit
Bakerville
A Clean Garage, Finally
A Clean Garage, Finally!!

One work project also still hung over our heads that needed to be completed.  With having to go back and take care of that, it still feels like we are not able to actually and officially GO.

Working Outside in the Snow in October
Working Outside in the Snow in October

Mark flew back to Colorado for 10 days in December.  The project was still not on schedule,  nor could our part be completed.  He now needs to go back again.

Mark working in subzero weather
Mark working in subzero temps

Colorado work #2

More boiler room work
 boiler room work

So, that has dictated how far we can go until we need to find a safe hiding spot for Uno Mas for the upcoming hurricane season.  Angie was going to stay on the boat while Mark went back to Colorado, taking care of the kitties.  Well, the job scope was changed, with more add-ons, and both kitties died.  We had a feeling Mean Kitty wasn’t going to be sailing with us this season, but having Nice Kitty go unexpectedly, well, just really sucks.  So, Angie will be going  back with Mark, to make sure he gets the job completed and there will be no going back. This then also lead to finishing another job in Chicago and going back to Ohio for a few days with family, all during hurricane season.  We do not like the idea of leaving the boat for any length of time, especially during hurricane season.  We had to pay an additional  boat insurance premium because we would be north of 10.5 degrees Latitude, our boat insurance’s cut off for the hurricane zone.  And, we will be leaving it in a place that has seen hurricanes.  The concern is great.

Preston House
Preston House

Where to go, leave the boat, and feel it will be safe?  We are not going to go back to Florida again, so it needs to be someplace South.  Being  in Florida, makes us hemorrhage money and so does travelling across the USA in an RV.  We are on a very fixed and tight budget for the next few years, with no income rolling in to help offset any of the expenses.  Our grandiose plans when we left Colorado in November was to get through the Panama Canal in Apr/May, 2017, then Galapagos , Easter Island, Pit Cairn, French Polynesia, and be in New Zealand by October to weather out the cyclone season.  However, now that Mark needs to fly back, we could not go to New Zealand.  The time he needs to fly back would be in the middle of trying to cross the Pacific.  So, we altered plans and decided to stay in the Caribbean until Spring, 2018. To hide from hurricanes in the Caribbean, we need to be South. A lot of boaters leave their vessels in Grenada.  So, we are looking at there or in the ABC’s (Aruba, Bonaire, or Curacao), Columbia, or Panama.  We have been to Bonaire multiple times diving and have also vacationed in Curacao.  Aruba is easy to fly in and out of.  So, we are leaning towards there.  Grenada is having problems with a lot of crime against boaters.  We are seriously questioning whether we want to leave our boat there or not.  Columbia and Panama have some concerns as well, but not as bad as Grenada.  So, we shall see where we actually end up.  Columbia is the only place our insurance company would actually cover us without the additional premium.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s